As was revealed this evening, Sam Spratt created a series of illustrationsinspired by Childish Gambino’s music which he calls “American Royalty”, and he has given us a few tidbits of information to share with you guys, about some of the hidden easter eggs that he included in the paintings:
- In American Chariot, the little kid is holding a TMNT action figure because of the viral campaign to try to get Donald to play/voice one in the upcoming reboot.
- In Home Movies, the DVD case on the ground is of Human Centipede, a lyrical reference from Bonfire.
- Also, in Home Movies there is a heart with the initials RJ etched in the bed post, a reference to Donald’s frequent lyrical mentions of Rashida Jones.
- In Hope, the text on the paper on the ground is actually portions from Troy and Abed’s Christmas Rap from Community.
- In Roots, the “coin” background has ‘Georgia’ and ‘1983’, Donald’s birthplace and birth year.
- In Royalty, the disgruntled white guy in the window is actually a self-portrait.
- In Trophies, the chalkboard has several references, one of which is a misspelled version of “the younger I get” scribbled over, for obvious reasons.
We would like to thank Sam for taking the time to share this with us, as it really showcases his attention to the small details. If you would like to purchase any of the very limited edition prints from his “American Royalty” project, you can visit http://royalty.samspratt.com/
. You can also follow Sam over on Twitter
, or right here on Tumblr